Self Assessment Tax Returns

Do I need to send a tax return?


You must send a tax return for example if you:

  • were self-employed as a ‘sole trader’ and earned more than £1,000 (sales/income - regardless of how much profit you made),
  • were part of a business partnership,
  • had a total taxable income of more than £150,000,
  • had to pay Capital Gains Tax when you sold or ‘disposed of’ something that increased in value, or
  • had to pay the High-Income Child Benefit Charge.


You can check whether this includes yourself using




For the tax year 6th April 2023 - 5th April 2024


Most people will need to complete their tax return by 31st January 2025, however - please be aware that if you need to complete a tax return and have not sent one before, you must tell HMRC by 5th October 2024.


Contact us now if you need help with this








Print | Sitemap
© MG Accounting Service UK Ltd